Are common colds a part of your routine now-a-days? Do you find yourself sniffling more often than not? Are you always feeling weak, and prone to requesting time off from work? Are you suspecting a weak immune system as the root of your problem? If you are; then there might be certain life style habits that contribute for this. Here are a few causes for a weak immune system, and how to prevent them.
- Being overweight. Here, we are talking about being obese or unhealthily fat. For this, the obvious solution is to get into a healthier diet. Being a pound or more over the recommended weight (for age and height) doesn’t really matter, but it’s still best to consult a doctor if you are concerned.
- Lack of exercise. This relates to the above, and also helps to make your condition worse. If you find yourself panting after a flight of stairs or simply by walking a short distance, then this indicates a serious lack of exercise. By exercising, you are not only improving your immune system, but you are also helping to get in shape and put yourself in a better mood.
- Not eating right. In our opinion, starving yourself is never a good idea; Unless you are fasting. Eat the right nutrients, and the right quantities. If you are unsure about this, consult a dietician to help you out. And if possible, avoid over consumption of simple sugar as this too can weaken your immune system.
- Not getting adequate sleep. Ideally, an adult should get 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night. But sadly, hectic work schedules hardly allow us this now-a-days. Try and regulate your sleep. If you feel like your lack of sleep is the cause of your weak immune system, then try to grab a few power naps too. This 20 minutes of snoozing can even help you fall asleep better at night.
- Over stressing your mind. Stress can affect more than your mind. Overstressing is bad for your heart and your immune system too. Try and relax when you’re feeling overwhelmed. Grab a power nap or start practicing yoga. Even a session at a spa or massage parlor too can help you de-stress and relax.
- Lack of hydration. Water and proper hydration is as important to your body as any of the above. But drinking impure water, or water that is harmful for you or contaminated can be disastrous to your immune system. Make sure that you are drinking pure, filtered water; especially at work. It might be a good idea to stock your office (and car) with bottled water if you feel this is the reason behind your weakened immune system.